The final stage of the election process on polling day is the counting of votes and the dissemination of results for the various candidates who contest the elections.
- COUNTING ON-THE-SPOT
People to be allowed in the polling/counting centre include:
- IEC Officials
- Regional Authorities, such as Governors, National Assembly Members, Councilors, Mayors/Chairpersons, Seyfolu and Alkalolu (should not come with a big delegation)
- Two polling/counting agents per Candidate
- Accredited domestic and international observers
- Partners and guests of the IEC
- Accredited media practitioners(one per media house)
- Security personnel (on duty at the polling/counting centre)
- Candidates if they so wish
No other person should be allowed in the polling station/counting centre unless duly authorized by the IEC.
Counting begins with:
- Presiding officer reads out the Ballot Token Account and polling time.
- Polling/Counting agents cross-check seals numbers with their notes before seals are broken by the Presiding officer.
- The Presiding Officer breaks the seals, pours the tokens onto the sieve and filters them.
- Presiding Officer arranges the tokens on the counting tray
- Presiding Officer shows the filled counting tray to:
- Polling/counting agents and/or
- Domestic / International Observers present.
- Showing of the counting tray should be done one after the other.
- Presiding Officer records votes polled by each candidate on the Counting Form.
- Presiding Officer returns counted tokens in their respective ballot drums
- Presiding Officer reseals the ballot drums supported by binding wires
- Polling/Counting agents may escort the Assistant Returning Officer and Presiding Officer to the collation centre at their own cost.
- The Collation Centre will then collate polling station results
- The Collation centre shall add up all the polling station results in the constituency before handing it over to the Regional Electoral Officer.
- Proper care must always be maintained when results are being tabulated to ensure that all figures are correct.
- Polling/counting agents shall sign the close of poll report.
- A copy of the counting form shall be given to each candidate’s agent.
- A copy shall also be pasted at the polling station/counting centre and a copy taken to the collation centre