You can only be a registered voter if you have a valid voters card issued by the IEC according to the provisions of the Elections Act, Sections 11-21. A person shall be entitled to have his/her name entered on a register of voters in a constituency if he/she is:
- A citizen of The Gambia;
- 18 or will be 18 by the date of the next election; and
- A resident, or was born in that constituency.
No person shall be entitled to have his/her name entered or retained on a register of voters if he/she is:
- Not a Gambian citizen;
- Serving a sentence of imprisonment;
- A person adjudged to be of unsound mind or detained as a criminal lunatic under any law;
- A person whose name is entered on a register of voters (by whatever name called) in any other country or territory; or
- Otherwise disqualified under this Decree or under any other law.